Monday, August 17, 2009

Our trip running to its end

Days have been flying by too quickly. The sports lessons are running very well, and the monks are enjoying it a lot. This last week, in every group somebody has to replace me as the teacher during the yoga and fitness exercises. This will enable the monks to continue the lessons in my absence. I noticed their big progress in balance, flexibility, juggling... Every day they enter my class with the same big smiles on their faces and loaded with energy.

Last Friday I had a half day off so I went together with Tsering-la for book shopping in the tourist part of Kathmandu; Thamel. On Saturday (which is replacing our Sunday) I asked Dawah, the brother in law of Karma, if he could join me to visit some temples, my father having returned to the mountain village again. The company of an insider is always nicer and very useful. Dawah accepted and even prepared a whole day trip, visiting the whole Kathmandu Valley.

It was really exciting. First we visited the west part of Kathmandu Valley : the monkey Temple our Swayambhunath Stupa: this is a very big stupa on the top of a mountain surrounded with forest with plenty of monkeys jumping around, teasing tourists.

Next stop was the centre of Kathmandu : Kathmandu Durbar Square , a very big and splendid place filled with temples.

After a wonderful lunch we headed to the south where we visited Patan, again I was astonished by the many temples and castles still left in their original state. I learned that wherever a royal castle have been build, construction of monasteries and temples did follow.

After a good walk and look around we went to Bakthapur, one of the most popular places famous for his pottery. As expected we visited even more temples, castles and stuppas. As temples and castles got bigger entrance fees followed accordingly.

Our last destination was a visit to some very nice waterfalls, a little bit less exotic than I was expecting, because they used the water for electricity production. Despite this, it was very nice. Meanwhile Dawah'sister and a friend joined us because they lived nearby.

We ended our magical day by visiting Dawah's family in law. Over a cup of coffee ( what seems to be a luxury product) we discussed our visits. After our nice cup of coffee I intended to leave this warm harted family in search of a restaurant. However I did not get the chance because they insisted on having dinner at their home. I was honoured and happy, feeling the warmth and hospitality of Nepali people.

I really enjoyed the good food under the all seeing eye of the head of the family making sure I wouldn`t lack anything. We ended our dinner with a plate full of fruits. Leaving very late around 22`0` clock I got 4 bodyguards with me because streets are desserted from 20 `o` clock and they seem not always safe.

After an exhausting day I was very happy to find back my bed. With the day running to its end and the energy devoratig teaching lessons adding up, my energy level was slowly running down. So yesterday I spent the whole day recovering in bed.

Today however I feel fit again and I intend to teach them some last new exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment